Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Got a call mid-morning to go work in an office for the rest of the day. Off I went to King Kollakis in Knightsbridge. This company is a Greek shipping company and I spent the day answering the phone, eatting ginger snap cookies, watching them play ping-pong with the visitors, and the second daily freek snow storm. The Greeks really know how to work and have a good office environment! After work Chris said that he would take me for McFlurries since I felt horrible and ice cream always makes you better! America's Next Top Model and then bed for me!

On a side note, I made some conclusions about British office workers today:
So being an office temp I'm mostly doing receptionist work. In this country that can mean a few different things. Mostly it means about 2 hours of actual work a day and the rest of the time to do whatever you want.

For example my first job I made tea & coffee and unwrapped their lunches. The rest of the time I read books, journalled, read the paper, wrote letters, and made my "London To Do" list.

Second receptionist job was answering the phones, signing-in guests, making more tea & coffee, booked meeting rooms, diary (British for planner) management, and assigned parking spaces. In my down time here I got to be on the internet and label photos, my space, and facebook, not to mention reading OK! magazine.

On Monday I answered the phone, opened and sorted the post (mail,) and called a client. Other than that more My Space all day.

Today, and possibily the rest of the week, I answer the phone. Rest of the time spent on-line doing whatever.

Conclusion: British receptionists are paid, well may I add, to play on the internet, or whatever, for 5 hours a day and work for only 2! I'm liking this country more and more every day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home